Monday, April 27, 2020

Lockdown - Day 43

In my last post I explored the differences between general terms (hypernyms) and specific words (hyponyms). I don't need to remind you that I am all for accuracy... as long as it is not pedantic, that is. As I said in the video, overprecision can be ludicrous. Just imagine a friend who's telling you how he met his new girlfriend and starts his story like this:

I was sitting on a chair made of birchwood, with my back at an angle of 43 degrees relative to the floor, which by the way was covered with Mexican ceramic tiles...

Granted. I did go a little overboard. I know, but you get what I mean, don't you? We should be accurate only whenever it's necessary. Take the image below this very line:




How would you describe it? Would you say it's a picture? A painting? A printout? A sketch? A portrait? A drawing? A doodleIt is obviously a version of Nighthawks, a work of art which at this point should definitely be familiar with, but... does it qualify as a parody? Pay attention to the bottle of bleach on the counter. It refers to the recent press conference in which president Trump suggested that injecting disinfectant into a Covid-19 patient's lungs might kill the virus. So it might have been published by some online newspaper. Can we call it cartoon? Do you realize how many choices you must make? If you thought of something along the lines of "a parody of the iconic painting by Edward Hopper" you would be on to something. It's accurate and yet not off-putting. Remember what I said in the video that I devoted to the concept of idiolect? Choices. It all comes down to choices.














1 comment:

  1. JOSE IGLESIAS LOPEZApril 29, 2020 at 10:13 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...