Friday, April 24, 2020

Lockdown - Day 40

We change gears now. From the passive voice to hypernyms and hyponyms, which essentially are fancy words for two kinds of lexical items: "general" and "specific". Does that ring any bells?

In the presentation below I spend 14 minutes going on about the several reasons why we, advanced learners, need to incorporate accurate vocabulary. Case in point: the very phrasal verb "to go on about" is quite unspecific insofar as it doesn't tell you how I go on about. More precise verbs would be "to harp on about" and "bang on about", which have obvious negative connotations. Anyway, the video is a different way of presenting the same old thing: you should be ready to be accurate. I hope I've managed to make my point abundantly clear.



No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...