Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Lockdown - Day 17

There is a reason why I flat-out reject the inappropriate use of the word literally (which even my trusty Merriam Webster dictionary has sanctioned in its the second entry). I suppose it's a pet peeve of mine. However, the way I see it, if you are allowed to say I literally had a heart attack when you did not, then not only are you confusing your interlocutor but you're also lying. The standard excuse goes along the lines of "I was just using hyperbole". Okay. It's an exaggeration used for effect. To that I would counter that the hyperbolic use of the word literally is quite unnecessary. You can easily say "I thought I was going to have a heart attack" or "I nearly had a heart attack". Those phrases do the trick, don't they? The fact that somebody goes out of their way to insert an adverb whose meaning precisely points out that you are not being rhetorical is more than misleading. Come to think of it, it's not unlike wearing a T-shirt with the word "STAFF" printed on it when you don't belong to the staff of a particular company.

I'm writing about this because words matter. Meanings matter. And in these strange years of post-truth and fake news it has become urgent to be able to distinguish between fact and opinion. As sophisticated speakers, you should know a few techniques that will allow you to express yourself in an objective or professional manner, if need be. In order to do that you have to choose your words wisely.

Let's travel back in time a couple of weeks. On March 5 , the World Health Organization had informed the public that the death rate of the coronavirus among patients was 3.4%. Donald Trump stated publicly: "I think the 3.4% is really a false number". He went to say that it was his "hunch". Alright. Let's just forget the fact that he disputed the official figure with zero evidence so we can focus on his word choices.

He said "I think" and "my hunch". We all know Dirty Harry's dictum about opinions. So there's no need to go there, is there? Just think about how ridiculous it all sounds. Somebody has a hunch about a death rate. A hunch. It would have been a different story had he said: I have reason to believe... or after conferring with a panel of virologists I'm inclined to think... or words to that effect. But he didn't.

As learners of English, there is a line we must never lose sight of: the one that sets fact and opinions apart. When things get serious (e.g. at the oncologist's office) very few people care about hunches and personal opinions. As a matter of fact it's in those circumstances that misinformation can be truly dangerous. That's why the WHO is trying to debunk certain myths (falsehoods) regarding the infamous Covid-19. In a situation this serious there's no room for opinions. When it's appropriate you can, of course, be subjective and use phrases like:
  • I have the sneaking suspicion that she might pass the test
  • I have the feeling that we're onto something.
  • I am under the impression that they don't like me.
That's actually good English. Just try not to be subjective (I think) about objective facts. After all you wouldn't say "I believe that the Moon's gravity is 64% that on Earth's surface", would you? When you speak at a press conference either you know it's 16,6% or you should not have an opinion about it at all. So, allow me to refresh your memory by listing some strategies that an advanced speaker can use in order to distance themselves from the facts and remain objective.
  • Use the passive voice: It is widely believed that... Two raccoons were found dead
  • Be specific: 73% of respondents is more accurate than most respondents. Don't say a very important scientist if you can say something like Peter Piot, a world-leading virologist.
  • Refer to objetive sources of information: According to a new UN report
  • Avoid your personal opinion: Conventional wisdom suggests
  • Avoid value judgments: adjectives like scary, wonderful, impressive
  • Avoid intensifiers such as: really, extremely, obviously
I want to believe that some of you turn to this humble blog not only to keep your English in good shape but also to get a distraction from the day-to-day routine. I sense this may be only wishful thinking. After all, I don't know that for a fact.




N.B. The topic for the essay is "modern living". Discuss the following statement: "Technological breakthroughs keep making our lives easier, but we still struggle to find meaning".


1 comment:

  1. For sure, some of us do. I turn to your blog not only to keep my english in good shape but to look for a distraction from the day-to-day routine. It takes me all my life as an english languaje student to realice that you can mantain your knowledge of english avoiding boring gramatic books, I dare to say learning having fun! Thaks for your work. It is fresh air in this current times.

    ReplyDelete

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...