Sunday, February 19, 2017

My dear Avanzado 1 students. This post is for you.

In the recent exam you were asked to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of low-cost airlines. Remember? If you feel now that you didn’t know the essential vocabulary just read this very brief article about the subject. It is not exactly an inspired piece of glorious journalism (it even has some spelling mistakes) but, for the purpose of our course, it can be extremely useful. Look at the actual vocabulary the author uses and, please, pay close attention to those ideas you wanted to express but didn’t quite know how to.

Remember what I always tell you in the classroom. Collocations are key. What does the parliament do with a law? They pass it. What do decent citizens do? They abide by the laws. What do crooks do to laws? They break them. How are you going to talk about laws if you are not able to use verbs like pass, break or abide? Tough, uh? Okay. Read that little article and learn how to say things like tarjeta de embarque, tarifas, agobios, etc.

Anyway. I'm happy with the results. If you don't believe me simply play the video below to understand why, despite the fact that there is still room for improvement, I have my reasons to keep smiling.



N.B. Mind the spelling mistake in the article. It says "attune" where it should say "attuned".

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...