Friday, February 10, 2017

Hyperpolyglots on Saint Valentine's Day

Hi everyone,

Okay, here’s the thing… over the past few weeks I have repeatedly mentioned “a talk I’m working on”. I believe that I may have even touched on some of the points I mean to tackle in it. The weird part is that, well, I have neglected to share with you any details about the actual event (in this day and age anything that happens is considered “an event”). So let me correct that: I’m going to give this talk twice: on Tuesday (Feb 14) at 19:15 in Laredo. The day after I’ll make the same presentation in the Ataúlfo Argenta High School in Castro Urdiales at 19:00 (Room B3). What is it about? Well… It's about hyperpolyglots. Who are these people?

According to the official definition, anybody who can speak six or more languages qualifies as a hyperpolyglot. Don't frown like that. It's not such a bizarre thing. We all have heard some guy on TV casually mention that a certain supermodel speaks five languages and just a very quick Internet search will have you believe that the current pope speaks anywhere between three and eight languages (it depends on the sycophant). Some even claim that he is conversant in Latin, an assertion which is blantantly false. And yet language superlearners do exist. Yes, they do. Believe it or not, some people do manage to speak a dozen languages to a very high standard. If you want find out how they do it, come to the talk. It will be fun.

In the meantime enjoy this beautiful Saint Valentine’s song, written and performed by sir Paul McCartney. He even directed the video clip!


No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...