Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Okay. We’ve already started the classes. Some of you may still be wondering if my teaching style really suits your needs. What can I say? This is only the beginning. Your initial shock is part of the process.

Anyhow, I’d like to share with you some of the principles that are going to guide our classes. Pronunciation is key (you know why). Vocabulary should always be learnt in a context and with considerable patience. Try to make sure you learn the first meaning of a word/expression. Most people say “I’m on cloud nine”, don’t say “I’m on cloud seven” even if dictionaries tell you it is okay. Remember that you’re not expected to be stylish or creative (not yet, anyway). Having to choose between mesmerizing, hypnotic, spellbinding and enthralling is a problem that belongs to the advanced level. We're not there yet. In short, distrust third, fourth and fifth meanings and, please, don’t try to learn twelve words for one concept. At this point, three is more than enough, specially if they express interesting semantic differences (e.g. peculiar, strange, bizarre).

And now some practical tips: avoid overusing simple structures like “she is…”.  It's okay to say "she's great" but you should also be able to handle alternative phrases such as “she makes me think of…”, “she represents…”, “she seems…”. At any rate, use expressions that you like to voice opinions that are true. For example, the very thought of this man becoming president makes my stomach turn. I’m sorry but he’s just repulsive. The first sentence is a combination of two structures we saw in the classroom. The second one is a simple enough phrase with a powerful adjective. Two options: one more complicated than the other. Both belong to the upper-intermediate level.


One final note for all the potential wordsmiths out there. The expression “I’m in seventh heaven”, which came up in class the other day, comes from Jewish and Muslim theology. Indeed. According to these religions there are seven levels of heaven, the seventh being the abode of god and the angels. Apparently that’s the place to be when you’re dead, although I can’t help wondering if they have a good cinema up there. Eternal life without movies will be a tad boring. Don’t you think?

Alright. Here's something for you to smile for a while: the five-year-old who has slammed the British Prime Minister for not implementing efficient policies regarding the homeless people. Her name is Brooke Blair. I dread to think what this little girl will be like when she's 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...