Sunday, October 23, 2016

Like The Scream by Edvard Munch or Nighthawks by Edward Hopper, The thinker by Auguste Rodin is one of those works of art that have trascended the world of so-called highbrow culture and conquered the ever-changing realm of general knowledge. I don’t know exactly what Rodin was thinking when he came up with the idea of chiseling a brooding person out of a block of stone but the fact is that he had the idea (i.e. he “thought” about something) and then he carried it out (i.e. he “did” something). I, for one, pride myself in doing my fair share of thinking, including extensive day-dreaming, but I suppose that a person is best defined by their acts, not necessarily their thoughts.

Where am I getting at? Bear with me for a few more lines. You all have ideas. For example some of you probably think that English is hard or you think learning a language is time-consuming. Many of you think speaking English fluently is quite feasible or completely out of reach. Okay. Ideas. You have lots of ideas, which means that you do a lot of thinking. So... What are you going to do about all those ideas? Look at this cartoon:





See what I mean? Thinking is great (and necessary) but there comes a time to act on those ideas. So, here’s something for you to do: 


Avanzado 1. You’re supposed to write 250 words on the following statement: "Brainy is the new sexy". It will be part of your progress report.


Avanzado 2. "Follow your dreams" we hear often. Okay. I would like you to write 250 words on the matter: What kind of person follows their dreams? Do certain cultures promote that attitude more than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...