Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The land of nuances

Hello my future students,

The beginning of yet another school year looms ahead and it comes full of surprises, one of which has to do with the relabelling of all courses and levels. The old C1 level has been split into two different courses: C1.1 and C1.2 and, guess what... Those happen to be the two classes I’m going to be teaching.

What does that entail?

In my capacity as your personal Moses, I plan to devote the first weeks to parting the choppy waters of the C1 sea into two distinct levels so that every student is fully aware of what the challenges of their course are. (By the way, if you have understood that last sentence without rereading it you may be ready to pass the reading exercise of a C2 exam).

Right off the bat I can tell you all that C1 is the land of nuances. Yes. It’s all about using the right word and expressing oneself in a way that comes close to being “natural”. What does that mean in simple terms? For starters let’s debunk some myths. “Conveying an idea and getting the message across” is simply not good enough. It also means that blanket terms such as break, woman and tool are just not going to cut it in contexts where a competent speaker would favor more accurate words like snap, surgeon or chisel. Gone are the days when you could feel proud of making yourself understood even if it took you minutes to describe an object whose name wouldn’t spring to mind. Those of you that may already be wondering why you should care about “using the right word” just watch the video below.

2 comments:

  1. I thought we were in luck when I heard C1 level was going to be split in two years. but being forced to enroll in C1.2, only becouse you were registered for C.1 last year, does not make any senses. Well, in any case, have a nice course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m happy!! : "I have understood that last sentence without rereading"

    ReplyDelete

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...