Thursday, May 17, 2018

How to tell a story

Today I'd like to share a story with you but not one of my personal anecdotes (I do enough  of that in the classroom, don't I?) No... I've decided to let you see an actual master: Mr. Tom Hanks, arguably the most likable human being on the planet.

In the video below you will see how he manages to transform an insignificant tiny detail (he was given a crappy bicycle) into a hilarious story. The narration, by the way, starts at 06:10 and ends at 10:10. All you need to know is that Tom Hanks spent some quality time with a group of friends which included TV personality Oprah Winfrey, rock star Bruce Springsteen as well as former president Barack and his wife Michelle Obama. All of them agreed to hang out in media mogul and billionaire David Geffen's yacht in French Polynesia.

C1 students should get the ironic remark about the state of the world. You can all enjoy the detail he goes into when he describes the bike he was riding, the onomatopoeias, the way he uses the present simple tense, the unnecessary expressions (I'm gonna tell you right now), the delightfully colorful vocabulary (piece of junk hunk a junk bike), the accurate descriptions of the bicycles, the analogies... It's just an impressive masterclass. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...