Thursday, October 19, 2017

Patricia Camino

When the World Trade Center was destroyed by a terrorist attack on September 11, 2001 the producers of the TV series “Friends” (arguably one of the most successful sitcoms ever) had to face a tough dilemma: should they acknowledge the tragedy in the show or have their characters go on with their lives? As it turned out, they decided that the New York City depicted in the series was not the real New York but rather a dream-like version of it. They also thought that the feel-good vibe of the show might actually offer grief-stricken New Yorkers a way to escape from the ubiquitous news of a horrific catastrophe. I suppose we all sometimes act like that. It’s human nature… but when the pain is sudden, sharp and all-pervasive it is almost impossible to pretend that nothing really happened. Even if it is true that, as they say, “the show must go on” I believe a few words must be uttered first.

I am fully aware that this blog is probably not the ideal place to write a eulogy nor is it a teacher’s duty to do so, after all a blog like this one exists only as a tool to help students. Yet I can’t pretend a dreadful tragedy has not occurred. I just can’t. I refuse to stifle my urge to let my feelings show. So here goes…

Patricia Camino died yesterday. She was one of my C1 students in Castro Urdiales and barely twenty-four hours later I’m still in a state of unspeakable shock. I am lucky enough to have known her personally. She was my student some years ago and even agreed to appear in one episode of my series of video podcasts on English pronunciation. Every now and then we would bump into each other in Castro Urdiales and catch up.

What can I say about Patricia?

She could light up any room she walked into. Her enthusiasm was simply infectious. She was a generous student, a devoted mother and loyal friend. So I felt truly happy when I learned she had been elected to hold office as a councilwoman in Castro Urdiales, partly because it was a project she was passionate about and also because the world of politics desperately needs people like her. Just two weeks ago she texted me to let me know how thrilled she was that she had gotten a place in the C1 course. On Tuesday evening, right after class we exchanged a few words…


Devastated by the loss of Patricia, one thought keeps echoing in my head: the world is today a little bit worse because she’s no longer around. RIP.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful words for a student. I didn't know her but it is a very sad new.

    ReplyDelete

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...