Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Learn phrasal verbs with little Becky

So. How do you feel? Tired of so much new vocabulary? Should I dial it down a little? I'll give it some serious thinking.

This time I must say I’m glad that all my students are working on the same topic. Believe it or not, the art of story-telling is indeed a necessary skill you should try to master. It’s something we all do every day whenever we choose to answer questions like how was your day, honey? or every time we meet a friend and say you will not believe what happened to me this morning. That's story-telling, isn't it? The truth is some of you have come up with some refreshing, thought-provoking six-word stories:

So far so good, she said.
I was not on the list.
Finally he came to my life.
It turned out she was alive

We'll keep on working on that and I guarantee that we’ll soon come back to the first unit, which deals with personal descriptions and first impressions (remember?) but it's time to get ready to tackle our next obsession: phrasal verbs.

For the time being, you may check out this hilarious video featuring an eight-year-old Irish girl who calls a demolition company to have her school destroyed. The clip has been around for about six years but I think it’s definitely worth watching. Some of the vocabulary is interesting but this time I would like you to pay close attention to the phrasal verbs that are used: knock down, tear down, blow up, get away with, fall down.




The sound quality is considerably better in this version of the prank which, inconveniently enough, doesn't have subtitles. Enjoy

N.B. Avanzado 1: Remember to write a fifty-word story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...