Thursday, November 3, 2016

My interrogative mood


So… do you have the feeling that you have already learnt something in my classes? Are you aware that both learnt and learned are grammatically acceptable? Have you realized that I am writing in questions? Do you know that there is a book (a whole book!) whose entire text is made up of questions? Do you doubt that I have bought and read that book? Are you growing tired of reading interrogative sentences? How many versions of “can you repeat that” are part of your productive English? Would you rather say uh or I beg your pardon? Do you favor unconventional questions like where do you stand on this? and what’s your take on that? or do you prefer boring phrases like what do you think about it? ? Are you familiar with what’s your slant on this? ? Have you already incorporated you have a point and fair enough into your idiolect or are you still stuck with I agree and I disagree? Would you agree with someone who claims that the intermediate level is about just getting the message across? Do you even try to use what I call "unnecessary expressions" such like, you know, sort of, the thing is, actually, etc? Do you settle for being understood or strive to speak real English? Do you have your own idea of what real English is? Do you remember which student said “oh my!” in class? Have you clicked on the previous “oh my” out of curiosity? Now that you have, have you recognized George Takei? Are you ready to be blown away? Will you click on this? What do you think about it? Would you buy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...