Sunday, November 10, 2019

It's important to avoid overusing the word "important"

Hi everyone!


One of the defining characteristics of the C1 level is the ability to show range, which basically means that any advanced speaker should be able to choose from a varied menu of options. Bizarrely enough, I tend to find that many students focus way too hard on the acquisition of new vocabulary. They seem to be convinced that a knowing lots of different terms, big words or unusual turns of phrase will enrich their oral expression and they are absolutely right on the money. Having said that, it is also true that, ultimately, any description gets boring when it's made up of sentences which start like this: "Jenny is...". 

Consider the difference between these two sentences:

"To me family comes first"
"My family is extremely important".

See? You can say the very same thing without resorting to the rather basic structure "My family is...". Anyway, today I just wanted to remind you of the fact that, in our context, the word range refers to a variety of options: semantic, morphological or syntactical. In the video below I discuss a couple of ideas that may help you avoid using the phrase "he is very important". I hope it's useful.



2 comments:

  1. Thats your first YouTube video. I really apreciate you try to explain that ideas on the internet. It is really helpful. There are a lot of words that is better to avoid important very and that kind of generic words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to share this link that it is related with this idea. https://natalialzam.wordpress.com/2019/03/23/words-to-avoid-in-a-writing-task-b2-c1-alternatives/

    ReplyDelete

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...