Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My dear neglected students. Like the Terminator, I'm back.

I guess I'd already warned some of you that this might happen. The workload this year is pretty overwhelming so I make do with the little time I have. Enough said!

Intermediate learners. We're still dealing with medical issues (addictions, colds and all the rest of it) and the authors of the textbook want us to take a look at some past tenses. I guess this is a perfect opportunity for checking out some "real" English you may conceivabably use at the doctor's office: click here if you're curious. It comes with audio files so you can practise your intonation. The accent is (do I need to say it?) American. Enjoy.

C1 crowd. How're you doing? You know what I thought I might give you a vocabulary quiz but then I had second thoughts... I figured it may actually be counterproductive. Okay. Just a taste of it: do you remember what a whizz kid is? And how about the connotations of disturbing? What does deranged mean? (I used it only once). Which one of these is does not mean crazy: nutcase, nut, nutter, nutshell, nuts?

One more thing. I asked you to write a one-page essay describing some sort of awe-inspiring memory (or something of that sort). Remember? So far I've only gotten one text.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...