Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi everyone. I thought I'd type a few lines to basically wish you all a Merry Christmas.

I also think that this season is an opportunity for you to get (re)acquainted with some archaic expressions that only seem to pop up in poems and traditional songs. I'm talking about the pronoun ye (=you), the possessive thy (=your), the adverb yon (=around / over there), obsolete meanings in words such as gay (=happy) and terms like Yuletide (=Christmas) that you may not hear often. Check out those meaning so you don't freak out the next time you hear O Come All Ye Faithful or listen to that other classic carol:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas / Make the yuletide gay

I happen to like Michael Bublé, but I'm definitely not a fan of Ariana Grande. That said, boy can she sing! Her range is off-the-charts awesome and her technique is simply impeccable. Enjoy this short clip and remember that, in a few hours, Santa Claus is coming to town.



No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...