Tuesday, December 5, 2017

On fluency

To some learners using a language like a native speaker is the Holy Grail of foreign language learning. I will not dispute the unquestionable benefits of interacting with native speakers at their level. If you want to go the whole nine yards I think that’s great. The truth is that, most of the Indiana Joneses and Lara Crofts of language learning do not end up finding that Holy Grail. Is that sad? The answer ought to be a resounding NO. Research shows that very few people achieve a native-like command of their target language which is why I believe that fluency is a more realistic goal. Granted. Being fluent demands a certain level of self-confidence but that confidence can be achieved because (remember this) it depends on achievable factors. Watch the video clip below and find out how you can do just that. The little secret I give away may actually boost your self-esteem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...