Sunday, April 23, 2017

Mister Gorbachev, tear down this wall

Every language poses challenges to its learners: Romance languages have a whimsical subjunctive mode, German has complicated declensions, Japanese has numeral classifiers, Swahili has its noun cases, Basque has an ergative system (to say nothing of its auxiliary verbs) and so on and so forth. Well… English has two main problem areas: pronunciation and, of course, phrasal verbs. Today I’d like to center on the latter.

For the most part we can talk around phrasal verbs. For instance, we can choose to say “I was educated by my grandparents” or “I was reared by my grandparents” but let’s face it… Even leaving semantic nuances aside, neither of those sentences sound as natural as “I was brought up by my grandparents”. The situation becomes slightly trickier when we realize that the one-word alternative does not always work. Do we really want to say “I always rise at seven o’clock in the morning"? Do we even have a realistic option in cases such as “turn on the television, please”?

In short, phrasal verbs are not technically necessary but they are widely used by native speakers. They also make your English sound more natural (I screwed up), tactful (he passed away), succint (he didn’t measure up) and accurate (I dusted myself off). I believe those are serious reasons to incorporate multi-word verbs into our repertoire.

These thoughts were running through my head during a recent stroll down Unter den Linden avenue in Berlin, the city one always goes back to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...