Thursday, March 16, 2017

Music and happiness


Hi everyone! Today I have two different messages for you, my dear Avanzado students.


Avanzado 1: Today I thought I would share this interesting video. Most of you know that I have more than a soft spot for all things musical. That’s why I was blown away by this warm, inspirational TED talk in which Benjamin Zander, an outstanding English conductor, shares his infectious passion for classical music. By TED standards his presentation is a little long but, believe me, it’s totally worth it. Remember we discussed music in unit 6A. You’ll enjoy it. The man is a force of nature.




Avanzado 2: Remember the videoclip about happiness? Take a glance at the textbook (p. 52) if you don't. If you find the topic only vaguely interesting you may want to check out this other video which discusses that very issue but in a more refreshing fashion. The vocabulary the presenter uses is a good enough reason to pay close attention to his analysis of happiness in the Western Hemisphere. Satisfaction and disappointment might be equidistant from a hypothetical state of emotional neutrality. Yet our proclivity to focus on the negative inevitably sets us up for disappointment. Apparently, the old American standard was dead-on: we have to “accentuate the positive”. At the end of the day (experts say) happiness depends greatly on one’s expectations. Of course, if your expectations are low chances are you will not be disappointed but you may not achieve your full potential or learn to look on the bright side. Anyway, the vocabulary in the video is quite interesting. Case in point: what do you do with expectations? Well, you meet them, you live up to them, you measure up to them, you fulfill them, etc... As a teacher, I have to confess that I have great hopes for you. My expectations are realistically high. Trust me. High but realistic.


Reminders: Avanzado 1: I asked you to write a description which combines physical and psychological traits. Avanzado 2: You are supposed to write an essay about any one of the topics listed on page 97 of the textbook (Exercise 9A).

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...