Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Long time no see, uh? Well, well. Here I am again. The above photo was taken at the end of a C1 level class. It speaks volumes about the type of conversations that we have in the classroom, doesn't it?

Anyhow, today I will concentrate on the subject matter we're dealing with in the Intermediate courses, that is, telling lies. I don't know if many of you out there still remember a TV series called "Lie to me" which centered precisely on the refined techniques that experts (profilers, interrogators, analysts, etc,) use in order to determine if an informant/witness is telling the truth or not. I found this website, where a writer shamelessly promotes a book he published. The language is simple yet interesting. Pay attention to his use of the verb "to spot" and crime related vocabulary (falsely accused, embezzler) as well as some terms connected with body movements (which we have touched on in class, remember?). Last but not least, don't overlook collocations (catch/liar, severe/offense, commit/murder, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

On teaching

So I'm about to wrap the whole thing up. The school year is almost over and I have the distinct feeling that I may not be returning to t...